How the Rainbow Club Got Started
In October1994 Patricia "Pat" Mayo (1915 - 2017) announced in the weekly community newspaper that she was forming a group for gays and lesbians inside the gates of what was then known as Leisure World Laguna Hills.
Initially, only parents and other family members attended the meetings, which led to her involvement in establishing the South Orange County chapter of PFLAG (Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.)
Later Pat held meetings in her home for other lesbians and gays, then worked with the Recreation Department to set up an official club for Laguna Woods residents.
Originally the club name was GAYLES, then in 2000 became known as GA-LES, and in 2002 was officially renamed the Rainbow Club.
Click the link below to read the January 15, 1995 Los Angeles Times Sunday Profile on Pat Mayo, the first club president of the Rainbow Club of Laguna Woods Village.